About SPG (membrane)
As an effective use of Shiras (volcanic ash) that accumulates a lot in southern Kyushu Japan, they made a porous glass that can freely make and continuous pores of the micro meter (μm) by utilizing microphase separation of glass using shiras as a raw material in 1981. Developed by Miyazaki Prefectural Industrial Technology Center.
This is the SPG “Shirasu Porous Glas”.
- There are innumerable continuous micro pores (monolith structure) that are precisely controlled.
- The pore size can be arbitrarily designed in a wide range from 0.1 μm to 50 μm.
- Narrow pore distribution.
- No deformation of pore size due to pressure.
- Excellent heat resistance (Max 500 ℃).
- It is possible to make the surface hydrophilic or hydrophobic by surface chemical modification and to introduce various organic functional groups.
- Despite its porous syrcture, it has extremely high mechanical strength, and has excellent heat resistance and heat insulation.
- Not affected by most reagents except strong alkali and hydrofluoric acid